Feed on
Posts
Comments

Clay BuchholzA kid who looks no more than a day older than 18 is currently the top prospect in the Red Sox farm system, and one of the top, if not the top, pitching prospect in Major League Baseball. That kid is the 22-year old Clay Buchholz, who’s pitching repertoire and mental make-up all point to him being a star one day.

His electric fastball sits around 94-95 MPH, and he can dial it up to 97+ MPH when the occasion calls for it. His out pitch is his knee-buckling 12-6 curveball that registers around 75-78 MPH. Combine that with an excellent change-up, an above average slider, and an icy-cold stare that would make Jonathan Papelbon proud, Buchholz has all the makings of an ace.
The Red Sox drafted Buchholz in the supplemental round of the 2005 MLB First Year Player Draft with the 42nd overall pick. Buchholz had been projected as a first round talent, but an incident during his last year of junior college raised questions about his character, and his stock plummeted, all the way into the hands of the Boston Red Sox. Buchholz was arrested, along with another JuCo teammate, for stealing and then selling school laptops. The Red Sox had projected him to go mid-first round and were beyond excited to be able to see Buchholz still available at pick 42. The Red Sox had spoken with Clay beforehand, and were confident that the incident was a one-time thing, and that his character was not a question.

His first year was in Single A Lowell of the New York Penn League where he dominated the opposition, posting a 2.61 ERA in 41.1 innings and struck out 45 batters. In 2006 he split his time between Low A Greenville and High A Wilmington going a combined 11-4, striking out 140 batters in just 119 innings.

A sign of just how much confidence the Red Sox had in Buchholz, he spent a large chunk of time of this year’s Spring Training in big-league camp, and even started one of the final Spring Training games against the Tampa Bay Devil Rays. Buchholz pitched, well, not great, but definitely showed signs of great things to come, going 4 1/3 innings and striking out 3.

Sent to double AA Portland to being the season, Buchholz has thrived, posting a 1.82 ERA in 74 innings with 100 strikeouts and a K/9 of 12.16. Buchholz had the opportunity to display his talent on the national stage on May 23rd when he started against AA Trenton, facing a man he idolized as a child, a man who is perhaps one of the most dominant pitchers in Major League Baseball history; Roger Clemens. However, that day, Buchholz stole the show from the elder statesmen, shutting down the Thunder for 6 innings striking out 8 in the process, earning him national notoriety.

Regardless of how he performs from here on out, Buchholz has forever entrenched himself into the history of Red Sox baseball for several reasons. Firstly, the 42nd pick that the Red Sox used to draft Buchholz was obtained as compensation for the departure of another noteworthy Red Sox pitcher, yes, that Red Sox pitcher, Pedro Martinez. While Martinez pitched well during his first season in New York, he has since suffered through two injury plagued seasons, and I don’t think anyone would question the move to let Pedro go; especially when Buchholz was the “consolation prize”.

Also, Buchholz’s current line in Portland is eerily similar to another pitcher when he was in Portland, and that’s current Red Sox ace, Josh Beckett. Beckett threw 74.1 innings allowing 50hits, 19walks, struck out 102 batters, and had a 1.82 ERA. Buchholz has pitched 74 innings, allowing 49hits, 18walks, and has struck out 100 batters, and posted an identical ERA. Incidentally, after Beckett posted those numbers in AA Portland for the Marlins, he was called up mid-season, and went on to have an excellent rookie year.

Some things that Buchholz does have to work on however are fastball command and getting more consistency on his change-up. There is little doubt that he can already find success at the Major League level, but if he can improve upon those things, the Red Sox will have a sure-fire ace for the 2008 season.

25 Responses to “Clay Buchholz: An Ace in the Making”

1. on 23 Jun 2007 at 12:21 pm Jacki

Your Colorado cousins are pulling for you Clay! Keep it up!

2. on 27 Jun 2007 at 8:50 am Peter N.

And to think that the Chisox wanted to include him in the trade discussions for Mark B. And Jon Lester, too. Wow, that floored my for a guy who will be a 4 month rental. Let’s get Schill back sooner rather than later. Case closed…AMEN.

3. on 14 Jul 2007 at 2:03 am Joe

Icy stare? Buchholz looks like the half-breed kid from Deliverance. About as imposing as a kindergartner. Since when does his fastball sit at 93-94.. Last I saw him he couldn’t hit 93.

4. on 14 Aug 2007 at 10:58 am Jimmy

Joe your radar gun needs a new battery. I live 15 minutes from Pawtucket and whenever i see Bucholz pitching, he is repeatedly hitting 93-96, the changeup is a work of art,and he has the best curveballand your all over him

5. on 31 Aug 2007 at 6:05 pm Laurie Guidry

Joe, I don’t know about his fast ball (seen it many times) or his stare, but this kid and his family are a class act. Admittedly he had a major screw-up in juco, but he is a class act. I’ve watched this kid since he was in the 7th grade. His future won’t be based on luck, I doubt there is anyone in the league that works harder than him.

6. on 02 Sep 2007 at 12:50 am Kevin

Well, Well no hitter in his 2nd MLB start, what say you now?

K~

7. […] was the second most exciting night in his life. The first being the night he spent in prison after stealing laptops from a middle school. Let’s hope he has a better career than Wilson Alvarez. Coincidentally, […]

8. on 06 Sep 2007 at 6:53 pm Todd

BobbySketch. You dont know a thing about clay. I played with clay at Angelina Juco and he was always a class act. He had trouble right out of highschool and has matured tremendously. He messed up once like everyone has at one point in your life. He is most defently going to be a star and a future hall a famer. Just Watch!

9. on 21 Nov 2007 at 3:16 pm gEO

IT IS NOT GOOD FOR YOU TO TALK ABOUT BUCHHOLTZ YOUTHFUL ERRORS AND RUB IT IN…. SHAME ON YOU

SHAME ON YOU… SHAME ON YOU…. WE NEED YOUR DIRTY LAUNDREY TO TALK ABOUT… SHAME ON YOU

10. on 30 Mar 2008 at 7:19 am Terry Gordy

HI Clay,

I am very proud of your accomplishments. It seems like just yesterday you was being born in Mid_Jefferson hopital in Nederland Texas. I graduated with your dad (Skipper) I knew your grandpaw Mr. Bucholz and I know you other grand parents the Browns . I know that Skipper and Robin are very proud of you. I saw you on the hot seat after the no-hitter and you give credit where credit is due. Skipper has worked hard with you since a toddler. Skipper was quite a athelete himself. I am working in Saudi Arabia and I followed your no hitter on the TV. Chase Gordy(my son ) called me and told me about the no hitter in the 6th inning. That was a bad curve that last pitch. Now your a role model to many people. Hold the Bucholz and Brown name up with honor. Ky was a tought athelete himself. You got your talent honest. My son Chase, my new wife and I have been following your games when I am at my home in Bahrain.

You make us PROUD
    Terry Gordy

PS. Tell all the family I said HI

11. on 31 Mar 2008 at 1:41 pm fkd@aol.com

hi im your number 1 fan

12. on 02 Feb 2010 at 9:29 pm qingimiss

gses ef e e

13. on 07 Jan 2011 at 8:50 am Kesh

no, its me fan №1!!!

14. on 23 Jan 2011 at 4:37 am Aabob20

спасибо. хоть и на английском, но интересно

15. Вы можете купить шлейфы: шлейфы

16. on 26 Jan 2011 at 11:45 am Забава

подарки на день Влюбленных Ты купил валентинку?

17. on 15 Feb 2011 at 8:47 am Diorio

Hello, I have something for you smiling and acidic transdiva blowing her transport masturbated and ruine very briefly.

18. on 15 Feb 2011 at 8:55 am Fiops

Hello, I have something for you there

19. Very good game. I hoope its not last game

20. мне в очередной раз все понравилось

21. on 13 Oct 2011 at 2:56 am Jahseeds

когда думаешь как купить семена марихуаны на ум приходит только одно - jahseeds

22. on 13 Oct 2011 at 3:58 am qqq

в Украине семена конопли купить можно купить здесь

23. хорошо сейчас чихнул

24. on 27 Nov 2011 at 10:21 am jasa seo murah

номеров операторов Украины, http://jasaseomurah.om-onny.com/ продажа золотых номеров МТС, Киевстар и Life. http://www.om-onny.com/2011/10/busana-muslim-trendy.html Доступные цены

25. on 09 Mar 2012 at 1:32 pm скачать

Excellent article.
    Here it is only “to be or not to be here in what a question?”

Trackback URI | Comments RSS